Fresh Roasted Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Sticks Recipe
- TOMATO SOUP
- 5 medium-sized vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnishing
- oregano, sprig
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (can use more or less)
- smoked sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- heavy cream
- GRILLED CHEESE
- 8 slices sandwich bread ( I use potato bread)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use a mixture of different cheeses)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (can add more if desired)
| ||PREP TIME
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush a foil-line baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place onions and whole garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
- Arrange everything in a single layer.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes (they should slip right off. You can leave the skin on the cherry tomatoes if you plan on blending it really well)
- Peel cooled garlic and place into the blender, followed by the tomatoes, onions, basil and oregano.
- Blend until smooth (or lightly chunky if you prefer.)
- Transfer mixture to a large deep skillet or pot.
- Stir in enough chicken broth just until your desired consistency is reached.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer gently until hot.
- You now have a GREAT base. Time to bring it to life!
- Add in smoked salt and black pepper a little at a time until well seasoned being sure to taste after each addition. Salt & pepper really brings out the flavor!
- Use white sugar to bring down the acidity and to lightly sweeten if needed.
- Feel free to add in garlic powder, onion powder or dried oregano and parsley for more flavor.
- Ladle soup into bowls & garnish with fresh basil and a splash of heavy cream.
- To prepare the grilled cheese, heat griddle on medium heat.
- Mix together mayonnaise, garlic and enough parsley for a pop of color.
- Brush 4 slices of bread with the mayo mixture and place mayo side down on the griddle.
- Spinkle on cheese.
- Brush the top slices of bread with the mayo mixture and place on top of the cheese (mayo side up)
- When the underside of the sandwiches are golden, flip over and allow the other side to turn golden.
- (Press the sandwiches a little with a spatula to flatten.)
- When both sides are golden, remove from griddle and cut into 3 sticks.
- Serve alongside the tomato soup.
A recipe from divas can cook