Christmas Grouse with Berry Sauce (Jólarjúpa með Berjasósu) Recipe
- 4 (8-oz.) grouse or partridge
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
| ||PREP TIME
- Remove breasts from partridges, leaving bones attached to carcasses. Discard skin; chill breasts.
- Chop carcasses. Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high.
- Cook carcasses until browned, 6–8 minutes. Add carrot; cook until soft, 5–7 minutes.
- Add stock, dried and fresh blueberries, thyme, and bay leaves; boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; cook, skimming fat as needed, until reduced by half, about 1 hour.
- Strain stock and return to pan; simmer until reduced to 1 cup, 20–22 minutes.
- Simmer cream in a 1-qt. saucepan until reduced by half, 8–10 minutes; whisk into stock.
- Remove from heat; whisk in 2 tbsp. butter, salt, and pepper. Keep sauce warm.
- Melt remaining butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high. Season reserved breasts with salt and pepper.
- Cook, flipping once, until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 130°, 3–4 minutes.
- Slice breasts; spoon sauce over the top.
A recipe from saveur
Printed from Flyers-Online.com