Cheesy Brown Rice, Swiss Chard & Chicken Bake Recipe
- 4 cups (1 L) brown rice, cooked
- 4 eggs, medium
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onions, diced
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) brown mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 6 cups (1.5 L) swiss chard, fresh, sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil, fresh, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) thyme, fresh
| ||PREP TIME
- Preheat oven 375°F (190°C).
- Oil casserole or spray with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Cook rice in unsalted water according to package directions.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs with milk in large bowl.
- Add to rice.
- Grate the cheese and add one cup to rice & egg mixture and reserve other cup (250 mL) for the top of the casserole.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Shred Swiss chard across into ½ inch (1.25 cm) ribbons.
- The centre veins in the chard are edible.
- Cut chicken breast into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion with the chicken and stir and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms and chard and sauté a few minutes more until chard is wilted.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Mix into the egg & rice mixture along with the shredded basil and thyme leaves.
- Pour into the prepared casserole.
- Cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes in preheated oven or until cooked through and lightly browned.
- A knife inserted into the centre of the casserole should come out clean.
A recipe from Chicken
Printed from Flyers-Online.com