Sausage whirls with apples and mash Recipe
- 454 g Cumberland pork sausages
- 200 g shallots, halved
- 5 Cox apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 300 ml vegetable stock, made using 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dark brown soft sugar
- 800 g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 20 g slightly salted English butter
- 300 g dwarf green beans
| ||PREP TIME
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Untwist all of the sausages, then squeeze the sausage meat evenly along the entire casing until there are no gaps.
- Twist the long sausage in 3 places, so you have 4 equal lengths. Cut into 4, then coil each sausage to form 4 spirals, securing each one with a small flat bamboo skewer.
- Put the sausages, shallots, apples and stock in a large roasting tray, then drizzle over the oil and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Roast for 30 minutes until everything is cooked through and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a large pan of water and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Drain, then add the milk and butter, season with freshly ground black pepper and mash until smooth.
- About 5 minutes before the sausages have finished cooking, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the beans and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender, then drain.
- Serve the sausage whirls, apples and shallots with the mash and green beans, with any pan juices drizzled over the top.
A recipe from sainsburys