Our Favorite Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teapoon freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup (packed) basil leaves
| ||PREP TIME
- Heat a large, wide pot over medium-low and add oil and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden brown on all sides (if it starts to burn, reduce heat), 8–10 minutes.
- While garlic cooks, break up tomatoes into smaller pieces with a paring knife or kitchen shears.
- When garlic is almost ready, add red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, oregano, and pepper and stir, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon, until well combined.
- Increase heat slightly and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened and flavors have concentrated, at least 2 hours and up to 3 hours.
A recipe from epicurious