Warm Picnic Burritos ("Burritos De Machaca") Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Maggi sauce* or 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (2 to 3-pound) skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 3 pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Combine the Maggi sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, chile, salt, and pepper, to taste, in a medium-size bowl. Slowly add the 1/2 cup of olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Add the beef to the marinade, making sure each piece is coated with the mixture. Transfer the meat and the marinade to a quart-size freezer bag.
- Seal and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight. Allow the meat to come to room temperature before cooking, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Discard the marinade.
- In a large heavy pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides, a few pieces at a time, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the browned meat to a platter and set aside.
- Add the onions, peppers, garlic, and chiles to the hot pan. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the beef broth, tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix well, then return the meat to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer slowly until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and allow to rest until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
- Continue to cook the onion mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Using your fingers or 2 forks, shred the meat into 2-inch-long pieces.
- Return the shredded meat to the pot, stir to combine, and cook until meat is very hot, about 3 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas over a burner or in a dry skillet over medium heat for 20 seconds.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center of each tortilla, and roll into a thin burrito.
- Arrange them on a serving platter and garnish with lime wedges.
A recipe from Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid