Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 pounds fresh ground beef or (ground turkey)
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (more if you like it spicy)
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- Lettuce, red onions and whatever other fixings you want for the burgers
- 8 hamburger buns
| ||PREP TIME
For the sauce:
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside to thicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture, simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
For the burgers:
- Combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, jalapeno pepper, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Mix throughout but don't overwork the mixture so the patties don't get tough. Form 8 equal sized patties.
On the grill:
- Place the patties on the hot grill and cook until they reach desired doneness, grilling the pineapple next to the patties during the last 5 minutes or so.
- Optionally, you could brush a little teriyaki sauce on the pineapple slices as they grill.
- To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun.
- Top with the cooked burger and 1 tablespoon (or more) of teriyaki sauce, top with grilled pineapple and any other fixings you want to include.
A recipe from what2cook