Country Fried Steak Salad With Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 12 ounces top round steak, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 pound small golden new potatoes
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Canola oil (for frying)
- 2 heads of Little Gem lettuce or baby romaine hearts, torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups)
| ||PREP TIME
- Pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic to 1/8" thick. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine cornstarch, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a wide shallow bowl or dish.
- Combine garlic powder, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. lemon zest, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in another wide shallow bowl or dish.
- Lightly beat eggs in another wide shallow bowl.
- Dip steak in seasoned cornstarch, then in eggs, letting excess drip back into bowl. Coat in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Dip in eggs and flour mixture again for a second coating. Transfer steak to a lightly floured baking sheet; chill 1–3 hours.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium pot; add cold water to cover by 1".
- Season with salt, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, 12–15 minutes; add green beans during the last 3 minutes of cooking and cook until crisp-tender.
- Drain potatoes and beans and transfer to a large bowl of ice water; chill until cold, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a clean dish towel or paper towels and pat dry.
- Whisk sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, honey, 1 Tbsp. chives, 1/4 tsp. salt, and remaining 1 tsp. lemon zest and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Gently stir in cheese.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to come halfway up the sides; fit with thermometer. Heat over high until thermometer registers 325°F.
- Working in batches, fry steaks until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels, season with salt, then thinly slice into strips.
- Toss lettuce, potatoes, beans, and dressing in a large bowl. Arrange on a platter. Top with steak and remaining 1 Tbsp. chives.
A recipe from epicurious