Asparagus, Basil, & Cream Cheese Tart with Optional Bacon Recipe
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese (light cream cheese), room temperature/softened
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (about 15 medium-sized leaves)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a little more for sprinkling on top, if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- If adding bacon:
- 2-3 slices of bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
| ||PREP TIME
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place thawed pastry on a lightly floured rolling space and, using a rolling iron, roll into a 10-inch by 14-inch rectangle.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and carefully transfer the puff pastry to the baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit until cool, at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cream cheese, onion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Mix together with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring a large bot of water to a boil. Prepare a large bowl with cold water and ice. Add asparagus to the boiling water and cook for one minute.
- With tongs, lift the asparagus out of the boiling water and dunk in the ice water to help stop the cooking.
- Make a pile of 3 - 4 paper towels and move asparagus to the paper towels. Gently blot until dry. Add asparagus to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Spoon cream cheese onto cooled puff pastry crust. Spread to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Arrange asparagus on top of cream cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with a pinch or two of coarse salt, if desired.
- Return tart to oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until cream cheese is warm and asparagus is tender.
- If adding bacon, sprinkle it on after baking, or cut into squares and top individual squares if desired.
A recipe from kitchen treaty