he story of the Bow Valley Ranche is nearly twelve decades long.
Throughout its many years, the house has always had a reputation for holding unforgettable parties.
It began with a few characters who were critical to the development of Alberta’s cattle industry, the Big Four.
In fact, the idea of the Calgary Stampede may very well have been conceived within the walls of the house.
In 1896, cattle rancher and businessman William Roper Hull purchased property along the Bow River and built a sprawling ranch house.
The ranch became a centre for refined social activities, as he entertained many local and foreign visitors there.
Among the activities popular with the guests, tennis and the outdoor pool were crowd favourites, as you can see from the pictures below.
Hull owned the house and property until 1902, when it was purchased by Patrick Burns, a successful cattle rancher who eventually became a senator.
Almost a century later, local residents Mitzie and Larry Wasyliw created the Fish Creek Restoration Society in 1995 for the purpose of restoring the Hull residence.
In the summer of 1999, the ranch house was opened as a fine dining restaurant.
In early 2014, Great Events Group took over the operations of the building, restored to its original grandeur and reopened the restaurant as an exquisite location.
Once again, it welcomes guests for refined social gatherings and fine cuisine.
For a more complete history of the Bow Valley Ranche, please visit the website for The Ranche at Fish Creek Restoration Society.
Our gratitude goes towards Glenbow Archives for the amazing gallery.